1.24.2008

Seeing Red(ish) and an Early Baseball Season

Two knitting updates celebrating 'out with the old and in with the new' for January.














First off, a long overdue picture of a project I finished back in the Fall and have only recently had a chance to block. Voila - the Baby Baseball Sweater knit for baby Matthew (I must have been sensing the boy vibe early because I picked the colours back in the first trimester). I am in love with the pocket and was fascinated by the magic trick of creating it right within the rows. I'll have to get our little guy into this sweater quickly before he outgrows it (literally gaining 1/2 pound a week!). This was a free pattern available on the Canadian Living website and taken from the book Knit 2 Together, by Tracy Ullman and Mel Clark. Click here for the pattern. I made it using Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino - one of my all time no-fail favourites.

And a picture of a new project that is fueling my knit. I am so excited to finally have the Minimalist Cardigan cast-on (Interweave Fall 2007). I bought the yarn (Lily Chin Park Avenue in a burnt-ochre/red) at the end of the summer but was resisting the temptation to start until I got some other projects off the needles. Now that I have officially put my Tree Jacket into hibernation (that's a story for another day) it feels great to have something new to look forward to. At first I was a little worried that the moss stitch pattern was going to drive me into madness, but I'm finding it oddly relaxing (knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, to repeat...) and the little diagonal diamonds are becoming addictive to the point that I actually find myself stroking them between starting rows. Yes, I have considered therapy for this. The pattern and this yarn is knitting up really quickly and that is important right now; lately my knitting time has been seriously cut-back so seeing results becomes crucial (especially if I keep taking valuable time out to paw at the rows).

No comments: