1.21.2008

Hat Love (Part 2)

I couldn't knit a new hat for Matthew without casting on something special for big sister Julia. A belated compliment to the scarf I knit her last year, here is the Sweetie Pie Hat (Purl Bee) in all of it's pink stripey glory. A really quick and fun knit and I'm really pleased with the final product; it reminds me of a big pink sugary candy.

Jules is very proud of her toasty new hat and loves telling all of her friends that "my mama made it for me". But then again, she is 3 years old and most things are thrill-worthy. I am fully expecting the excitement to cool off as she gets older (which is all the more reason to soak up the praise now while it's so freely given!).

Even though I knit this for my little gal, the pattern will totally fit an adult as well. In fact, this hat ended up being quite long for Julia, which worked out fine since she insists on folding up the bottom just like her Daddy (which is why his hat has since been frogged and is waiting to be reknit - but I digress). If I were to knit this again, I would probably make it shorter or knit the first several rows in reverse so that the 'right side' was always showing. Even a straight stockinette or garter stitch would have been nice. I kept the inside neat though so it still works great in the meantime.

Pattern: Jen's Sweetie-Pie Hat
Designer: Jennifer Hoverson
From: Purl Bee
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Casmerino (16 st and 22 rows = 4 inch)
Needle Size: US6/4.0mm
Yardage: 1 skein of each colour
Size: Small (18" circumference)

No comments: