2.01.2010

From the Kitchen (i)

With a cold streak in the forecast and an extra school closure day this week, I've wisely decided to follow a kitchen theme for my 'year in pictures' this week. I figure this is also be a great idea to get my bloggin back on track (cop-out? maybe. just smidge)

So for the rest of this week you'll get a picture of some 'treasure' I've dug out of a kitchen cupboard or drawer (slightly frightening) plus the bonus of some related tidbit. What? I'm not entirely sure yet, but hopefully the inspiration will follow.

Today, you get a potato masher AND a recipe for the Make-Ahead Mashed Potato Casserole that made entertaining back in December several steps easier (did I mention freezable!). This casserole is so much richer than the potato action my masher usually sees, but part of what I like about a great recipe for company is the special excuse to indulge a little.

10 potatoes (about 1.75kg) : 250g cream cheese : 1/4 cup butter : 1 cup chopped green onion : 1 cup sour cream :1/2 cup minced fresh parsley : pinch dried marjoram : salt and pepper : 1/2 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs

Boil the peeled and roughly cut potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain and let cool slightly. With potato masher, mash until smooth; blend in cream cheese and butter until melted. Mix in onions, sour cream, parsley, marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to 8-inch (2L) baking dish; smooth top. Sprinkle with crumbs. (Casserole can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 week. Let thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours. Add 10 minutes to baking time.) Bake in 400F (200C) oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly golden. Makes about 10 servings.

No comments: